AFC U17 Asian Cup Bahrain 2023 Qualifiers Group I - HK U17 2:1 Kyrgyzstan U17


Hong Kong U17 Representative Team kicked off its AFC U17 Asian Cup Bahrain 2023 Qualifiers Group I fixture on Wednesday night by taking on Kyrgyz Republic in Dolen Omurzakov, Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic. Hong Kong scored the opening goal of the game but failed to hold on to its lead, eventually dropping a heart-breaking 1:2 decision against the host.

Hong Kong got off to flying start in the game with an early goal. On the 9th minute, Yuen Chun-him floated a teasing free-kick deep into the Kyrgyz Republic box. Captain Timothy Chow soared high and directed a towering header into the Kyrgyz Republic net. Hong Kong was up with an early lead.

The host tried to mount a comeback afterwards. On the 19th minute, Argen Emilbekov pushed forward with the ball down the middle and fired a long range shot towards the Hong Kong net. The ball took a deflection off a Hong Kong player and bounced wide.

Kyrgyz Republic kept the pressure coming. On the 23rd minute, Mustafa Mederbekovic found himself on the receiving end of a teammate's forward pass, then darted into the box and pulled the trigger, only to smash the ball into the side-netting.

The home side managed to pull one back on the 38th minute. Manas Uulu connected with a teammate's free-kick delivery and headed the ball home. The game was now tied at 1:1.

The first half eventually wrapped up with both sides tied on a 1:1 score line.

Hong Kong almost restored its lead early in the second half, as Lau Yu-ho finished off a Yuen Chun-him free-kick delivery by nodding the ball towards the net, only to be smothered by the Kyrgyz Republic goalkeeper.

On the other end, Kyrgyz Republic nearly pulled in front. Nursultan Mursabekov found himself on the end of a sweet centering pass and sent a leaping header towards the Hong Kong goal, only to be rejected by the goal-post. Hong Kong dodged a bullet on the occasion.

Hong Kong had a great chance to go ahead once again on the 55th minute. Skipper Timothy Chow belted a low free kick straight towards the Kyrgyz Republic net, forcing out a superb sprawling save from the goalkeeper.

On the 71st minute, Kyrgyz Republic's Baiel Tursunaliev unloaded a tight angle shot from the right side of the Hong Kong box, only to be charged away by goalkeeper Poon Sheung-hei.

Kyrgyz Republic took the lead on the 77th minute, as Aidar Sharipox found the back of the net through a long-range shot from near the top of the Hong Kong box. The score was now 2:1 with Kyrgyz Republic ahead.

Both sides failed to add to the score in the remaining regulation time, as Hong Kong U17 Representative Team succumbed to Kyrgyz Republic U17 National Team through a 1:2 score.