2022-23 HKFA FA Cup – RCFC 1:2 HKFC


RCFC met up with HKFC on Sunday afternoon in Mongkok Stadium for an intriguing matchup in the FA Cup Round 1. Both sides exchanged goals in the first ninety minutes, forcing the match into extra-time. At the end, Marcus Mcmillan’s extra-time goal turned out to be the match-winner, as HKFC edged RCFC 2:1 and advanced to the next round.

HKFC fired the first legitimate shot of the game on the 13th minute, as Leonardo Peres collected the ball near the top of the RCFC box and fired away, only to miss finding the intended target.

On the other end, it was RCFC’s turn. A thunderous blast by Ho Sze-chit was denied by a sprawling save from HKFC goalkeeper Frederick Toomer. Felipe Sa went for the rebound but came up empty handed on the occasion.

RCFC produced the next scoring chance on the 26th minute. Cheng King-ho’s free-kick was headed on by Yip Cheuk-man, yet the latter’s header failed to trouble Frederick Toomer in the HKFC goal.

HKFC drew first blood of the game on they 35th minute, as Raphael Merkies picked up the ball from Antoine Sahaghian and buried his chance from close-range, putting HKFC in front 1:0.

Late in the first half, RCFC had a golden chance to tie the game. Felipe Sa did some great work down the left wing and knocked the ball towards the middle. Ho Sze-chit unleashed a quick shot but saw his effort cleared away by a HKFC player.

The first half wrapped up with HKFC in front 1:0.

HKFC almost added a quick goal shortly after the game resumed in the second half. Raphael Merkies made a darting solo effort, rounded the RCFC goalkeeper and fired towards the empty net, only to witness his shot cleared off the goal-line by Cheng King-ho.

On the 56th minute, HKFC’s Leonardo Peres broke behind the RCFC defense and went one-on-one against RCFC goalkeeper Jason Law, only to be denied by the extremely alert custodian.

RCFC finally tied the game on the 87th minute. Felipe Sa pulled the ball backwards for Harima Hirokane. The latter unleashed a confident shot and found the back of the net. The score was now tied at 1:1.

The game was tied at 1:1 after ninety minutes and moved into extra-time.

On the first half of extra-time, RCFC’s Albert Canal picked up his second yellow card of the game and his subsequent marching order. RCFC was down to ten men.

HKFC capitalized on the numerical advantage and restored its lead. On the 116th minute, Marcus Mcmillan dished out a long-range shot that beat RCFC goalkeeper Jason Law and entered the net.

Mcmillan’s goal turned out to be the eventual match-winner, as HKFC went on to beat RCFC by 2:1, while advancing to the next round of the competition.