2021-22 BOC LIFE Hong Kong Premier League – Kitchee 1:0 Eastern Long Lions


Kitchee and Eastern Long Lions squared off in Mongkok Stadium on Saturday afternoon in the BOC Life Hong Kong Premier League season-opener. Manu Gavilan’s first half goal proved to be the difference of the game, as Kitchee went on and edged Eastern Long Lions 1:0.

Eastern Long Lions fired the first genuine warning shot of the game. On the 12th minute, Matthew Lam unloaded from the left wing but was turned away by a superb flying save from Kitchee goalkeeper Paulo Da Silva.

On the other end, it was Kitchee that opened the score. Manu Gavilan delivered a great cross and found teammate Matthew Orr, the latter pulled off a quick shot but was denied by Eastern Long Lions goalkeeper Yapp Hung-fai. Manu Gavilan stepped up and fired the ball into the back of the Eastern Long Lions net, putting Kitchee in front 1:0.

Past the half hour mark, Kitchee had a great chance to double its lead. Raul Baena drove the ball towards the Eastern Long Lions net, only to be turned aside by a flying save from goalkeeper Yapp Hung-fai.

On the 39th minute, Eastern Long Lions came close to tying the game. Sun Ming-him sent a free-kick straight towards the Kitchee net but could not locate the intended target. The first half ended with Kitchee in front 1:0.

Eastern Long Lions had a decent chance to draw level on the 56th minute. Sun Ming-him knocked a dangerous cross towards the middle. Mikael Severo directed the ball home through a timely header but the goal was called back due to off-side.

On the 68th minute, Kitchee’s Dejan Damjanovic unleashed a low drive from outside the Eastern Long Lions penalty area but saw his shot easily smothered by goalkeeper Yapp Hung-fai.

Kitchee generated another great scoring chance on the 74th minute. Manu Gavilan found himself behind the Eastern Long Lions defense and went one-on-one against goalkeeper Yapp Hung-fai. Gavilan fired a nice shot but was stopped by Yapp Hung-fai in the Eastern Long Lions net. Matthew Orr went for the rebound but saw his effort cleared away by Clayton Afonso on the goal-line.

On the 79th minute, Kitchee’s Matthew Orr fired a powerful shot from the left side but ended up hitting the crossbar.

Late in the game, Eastern Long Lions’ Matthew Lam picked up his second yellow card of the game and his marching order.

The score stood towards the final whistle, as Kitchee edged Eastern Long Lions by 1:0, opening its premier league winning account of the season.


Kitchee 1:0 Eastern Long Lions