FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 and AFC Asian Cup China 2023 Hong Kong 0:4 loss against Bahrain


Hong Kong met up with Bahrain on Tuesday evening in Bahrain National Stadium, Bahrain for its final Group C fixture in the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 and AFC Asian Cup China 2023 Preliminary Joint Qualification Round 2. A strong first half showing was not enough for Hong Kong on the evening, as the side allowed four unanswered goals from Bahrain in the second half and eventually dropped a 0:4 decision to the home side.

On the 4th minute, Bahrain midfielder Mohamed Abdulwahab Shaban fired a cracking long shot from the left side but failed to locate the Hong Kong goal. Hong Kong produced its first shot of the game on the 16th minute. Chan Shinichi’s throw-in was nicely chested backwards by Helio Goncalves. Diego Eli stepped up to the ball but sent his thumping volley wide. Shortly afterwards, it was back to Bahrain’s turn.

On the 23rd minute, Hashim Sayed Isa picked up the ball down the middle, then pushed forward and drilled the ball wide off target. Hong Kong had an excellent chance to break the stalemate near the half hour mark.

On the 29th minute, Law Tsz-chun did extremely well down the left side and managed to deliver the ball towards the middle. Matthew Orr unleashed a one-timer from inside the Bahrain box but saw his shot tipped over the crossbar by goalkeeper Sayed Mohamed Abbas. It was still Hong Kong afterwards.

On the 34th minute, Huang Yang tried to drive a long range shot towards the Bahrain net, only to see his effort hit a Bahrain player and then sailed wide. The first half eventually ended goalless for both sides.

Bahrain drew first blood of the game on the 49th minute. Sayed Dhiya Saeed connected with a teammate’s cross and sent a one-timer towards the Hong Kong goal. Goalkeeper Yapp Hung-fai pulled off a stunning save and paved the ball away. Mahdi Faisal Alhumaidan seized the opportunity and sent a tight angle shot towards goal, only to be turned away by Yapp once again. However, Sayed Dhiya Saeed was in perfect position and duly headed the loose ball over the goal-line, putting Bahrain in front. The home side doubled its lead on the 54th minute, as the referee spotted a Hong Kong player committed a foul inside his own box and awarded Bahrain with a penalty. Hashim Sayed Isa assumed the spot-kick duty for Bahrain and fired the ball home. The score was now 2:0 for Bahrain. Bahrain continued the onslaught and hit Hong Kong with another goal.

On the 70th minute, Rashed Khalil Alhooti sent a low cross into the Hong Kong box. Hashim Sayed Isa connected with a nifty touch but saw his shot hit the goal-post and stayed out. Hong Kong goalkeeper Yapp Hung-fai was under pressure and accidently tipped the ball into his own net. Bahrain was up by 3:0 at this point. Hong Kong had a rare scoring chance on the 80th minute. Tsang Kam-to sent James Ha into the Bahrain penalty area down the right side. Ha unleashed a running shot but smashed the ball wide.

Late in the game, Bahrain pulled further away on the scoreboard, as the home side was given a penalty shot by the referee, after the latter spotted a foul committed by a Hong Kong player inside the box. Ismaeel Abdulatif Hasan buried the spot-kick and made it 4:0 for Bahrain. The score stood towards the final whistle, as Hong Kong suffered a disappointing 0:4 loss against Bahrain on the evening.