2019-20 HKFA Sapling Cup Group A – HK Pegasus 2:3 Lee Man


Hong Kong Pegasus and Lee Man met up on Tuesday afternoon in Jockey Club HKFA Football Training Centre Pitch No. 3 for a Sapling Cup Group A fixture. Jorge Tarres’ late goal in the game proved to be the eventual match-winner, as Lee Man went on to edge Hong Kong Pegasus by a 3:2 score.

Both sides started the game slowly and it was not until the 14th minute that the first legitimate scoring chance occurred. Hong Kong Pegasus’ Chan Hiu-fung picked up the ball outside the Lee Man box and fired away, only to witness his shot going off-target.

It was Lee Man’s turn on the 21st minute. Jonatan Acosta knocked a curling free-kick into the Hong Kong Pegasus penalty area. Serhii Shapoval soared high but sent his header over the Hong Kong Pegasus crossbar.

Lee Man took the lead on the 35th minute. Youngster Law Cheuk-hei played the ball forward down the right-wing. Serhii Shapoval delivered a pacey cross towards the middle. Michael N’dri found himself unmarked inside the box and duly nodded the ball home, putting Lee Man in front 1:0.

On the 39th minute, Hong Kong Pegasus had a great chance to tie the game. Law Hiu-chung found himself on the receiving-end of a teammate’s forward pass, then darted into the box down the left-flank and pulled the trigger. Unfortunately, Law’s shot lacked power and failed to trouble Lee Man goalkeeper Li Hon-ho.

Late in the first-half, Lee Man expanded its lead. Serhii Shapoval made a great run into the Hong Kong Pegasus box and sent the ball towards the goal-mouth. Michael N’dri one-timed at the ball near the back-post and sent it straight into the net. Lee Man was up by two goals entering half-time.

On the 51st minute, Hong Kong Pegasus nearly pulled one back. Lui Kit-ming delivered a teasing cross from the right-side. Chan Siu-ki took up great position inside the Lee Man box but one-timed the ball wide.

However, Hong Kong Pegasus was not to be denied and got on the scoreboard afterwards. On the 59th minute, Shu Sasaki released Chan Siu-ki with a fine forward pass. Chan beat a Lee Man player to the ball, then muscled his way into the box before slotting the ball home, cutting Lee Man’s lead into half.

It was still Hong Kong Pegasus afterwards. On the 68th minute, Shu Sasaki danced past several Lee Man players and made it to the penalty area, then pulled the trigger on a low drive that went wide off the intended target.

Hong Kong Pegasus continued to lay pressure towards the Lee Man net. On the 70th minute, Wong Chun-ho unloaded a hook-shot from the left-side of the box but was paved away by Lee Man goalkeeper Li Hon-ho.

Hong Kong Pegasus finally tied the game on the 80th minute, as Chan Siu-ki headed on a teammate’s free-kick delivery. Michael Glassock rushed towards the ball inside the penalty area and fired it into the Lee Man net. The game was now tied at 2:2.

Deep in stoppage time, Lee Man managed to regain the lead. Martins Givanilton made a great run into the Hong Kong Pegasus box, before teeing up teammate Jorge Tarres with a soft centering pass. The veteran striker took care of the rest and calmly slotted the ball home, putting Lee Man back in front.

The score stood towards the final whistle, as Lee Man went on to beat Hong Kong Pegasus by 3:2.


HK Pegasus 2:3 Lee Man